Monday, September 16, 2013

Scariest Nightmare

Life isn't always fun and games for those of us who know God and have had our lives ransomed by the blood of His Son, Jesus the Christ.

There are times when we can experience troubling thoughts.

On occasion they even join together into what might best be described as a nightmare.

Maybe you know what I mean. 

The ordeal can come on me whether the moon or the sun are in the sky. The terror can steal over me whether I'm praying in heartfelt humility or singing in joyous abandon. 

My mind and heart are somehow convinced in an instant that I have failed and my greatest desire will never be met; the salvation of those I love. Fear tells me that it's my fault that our children or grandchildren, extended family or friends will never enter the heavenly gates.    

Has that ever happened to you?

I've spent a lot of years facing this threat myself and offering others the encouragement I've found in the Truth God provides in His Word. That's where I recently found what may be the strongest case for peace in the face of the horror of such a catastrophe.

I can sum it up through two brief references. 

For he [God] chose us [the redeemed] in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will.  
Ephesians 1:4-5

God is the One who decides who will be adopted as co-heirs with His Son Jesus. He did so before He even said the words, "Let there be light." in Genesis 1:3. His choices are based on His love and pleasure and will, and NOT on any human emotion or ideas or wishes.


For I [Jesus the Son] have come down from heaven not to do my will, but to do the will of him who sent me [God the Father]. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all that he has given me, but raise them up at the last day.  John 6:38-39

Jesus submitted Himself to the Father's pre-creation rescue plan. He left His throne of glory to walk out a perfect life in the dust of the earth to lay it down as the required appeasement for the wrath of His Father. The Son of God declares that He will reclaim every one of those the Father has entrusted to His care. 

Do you get it?

God the Father chose each of His adopted children and placed them in the hands of Jesus the Savior and not one will be lost

No amount of weakness on the part of any parent,

no character flaw on the part of any grandparent,

no rebellious sin on the part of any family member,

no thoughtless stupidity on the part of any friend

can take anyone off of the heavenly role, away from the Shepherd, nor out of the eternal presence of the Almighty King. 

Not even ME

Not even YOU.

Hallelujah and Sweet Dreams.

A little extra confirmation thrown in for good measure.

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us form the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.  
Romans 8:38-39

No comments:

Post a Comment