Monday, September 9, 2013

#1 Most Powerful Sentence EVER

Some people might think the prize winner is, "I love you."

I would agree that is a rich, meaningful, and life-changing sentence, but I suggest it's not the most powerful.

God introduced me to what I believe is the top competitor during my devotions this week.

I caught a glimpse of it in Psalm 40:7 and reading it took me over to Hebrews 10:7.

I've had my eye on this little three word sentence for years as I desire to embed its essence into my heart and life. 

I did some research and was surprised to find my nominee for the Most Powerful Sentence EVER appears more than 20 times in the NIV, 1984.

Most of the time my entry appears in a conversation between God or one of His angels and Man. There are other situations where people use it when talking to each other. 

Genesis 22 is the first passage where my contender appears in two of Abraham's responses in his interaction with God in the sacrifice of Isaac.

Exodus 3 is where Moses replies to God on Mount Horeb, another well-known appearance.

Isaiah's answer to God's call in Isaiah 6 is the occurrence that has driven my life for more than 30 years.

But in all my research it is when my suggested champion is attributed to God Himself that brought me to my knees.

Isaiah the Prophet declares, "Then you will call, and the LORD will answer; you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I."  Isaiah 58:9

"I revealed myself to those who did not ask for me; I was found by those who did not seek me. To a nation that did not call on my name, I said, 'Here am I, here am I.'"  Isaiah 65:1

The Almighty King of heaven and earth, the Living God, responds to the cries of base human beings. The Creator makes Himself available to His undeserving creatures when we had no time for Him.

"Therefore, when Christ came into the world, he said:
'Sacrifice and offering you did not desire, 
but a body you prepared for me;
with burnt offerings and sin offerings
you were not pleased.
Then I said, 'Here I am, - it is written 
about me in the scroll -
I have come to do your will, O God.'"  
Hebrews 10:5-7, an echo of Psalm 40:6-8

The Old Testament sacrificial system was inadequate to appease the wrath of the Father. His Son, Jesus the Christ, offered Himself as the perfect, once-for-all, atoning sacrifice to take away the sins of the world and fulfill the Law. 

The Redeemer said, "Here I am." before the foundation of the world was laid. 

The Rescuer repeated "Here I am." as He came to earth dressed in flesh and blood.

The Shepherd repeated "Here I am." as He walked among those He would ransom.

The Savior repeated "Here I am." as He bowed to the Father's will in the Garden.

No matter when any of us stops and turns to bow in humble, loving, grateful submission to Jehovah He was the first to say, "Here I am."

The Risen King continues to proclaim His life-giving message as He reigns at the Father's side.

"Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me."  Revelation 3:20

Will you cast your vote and make my candidate the #1 Most Powerful Sentence EVER?


6 comments:

  1. And every created thing bears witness to this--and has since the beginning. He tells His whole story with those words. I'm SO glad this was the message pressed upon your heart this week. Thank you for sharing, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pray it blesses you and everyone the Father causes to read it for His own glory. AMEN

      Delete
  2. Wonderful reminder and listing of verses. I really hadn't thought about that as being a repeated phrase all through the Bible. The reason I am a missionary today is that I prayed Isaiah's prayer, Here am I, send me. Thank you! And God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Lou Ann. God seems to use Isaiah to lead many of us to the field.

      Delete
  3. I love this. Thank you! I'm going to be dwelling on it for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to have you join me in this particular dwelling point, Kathy.

      Delete