Wednesday, December 12, 2012

The Alf Factor

                                               I'm an alien.

I don't look like Alf, but the label is still accurate - a foreigner, especially one who is not a naturalized citizen of the country where they are living. I live in the Czech Republic, but I hold a passport granted by the United States of America. Even my newly issued long-term resident visa doesn't change my alien status.

That's okay with me. There are loads of words that people use to identify themselves and those around them. Some are more accurate and/or more tasteful than others. The ultimate label is the one I seek. It's the "Well done, good and faithful servant!" found in Matthew 25:21, 23.

A word I stumbled across recently is causing me to consider the best plan to reach my goal. 

Available!

The way I look at it available is what Abraham was in Genesis 22:1, Jacob in Genesis 31:11, Israel in 46:2, Moses in Exodus 3:4, Samuel in 1 Samuel 3:4,5,6,8,16, Isaiah in Isaiah 6:8, David in Psalm 40:7,  and Christ in Hebrews 10:9 and Revelation 3:20. 

Avail means to use or take advantage of an opportunity or available resource.

Able means having the power, skill, means, or opportunity to do something.

So when I put myself at God's disposal, make myself available to Him, He can use all the power, skill, means and opportunities in and through me to accomplish His will. Now that's a pretty handy place to be for my servant quest and His glorious Name. 

Are you an alien? Whether you are or not, you can still be available.


PS   For clarification, I do know that alien can also mean a hypothetical or fictional being from another world. I am definitely NOT one of those no matter what you've heard on the grapevine.

No comments:

Post a Comment