Thursday, December 6, 2012

Karate Kristmas

Please excuse my playful spelling in the title of this post. It's not an attempt to take CHrist out of the season we're in at the moment. I could tell you I couldn't help myself when I chose it, but that wouldn't be true. 

Circumstances of the last couple of weeks have caused me to ponder how preparations for any event can throw the regular routine of our lives out of balance. It seems that for followers of Jesus Christ the celebration of His birth into this world is a prime example of what I mean. 

If you remember the Karate Kid in the first movie, you'll recall that in the heat of battle his opponent injured his leg. The strategy he used to address the situation was to lift the damaged leg and adopt the well-known crane stance. He was in the midst of physical conflict he stopped and took the time to get himself back in balance before plunging onward.

In recent days I've been feeling like the Karate Kid myself. My leg wasn't hurt in a martial arts showdown, but I'm definitely sore. The rush and crush of the holiday pace has taken its toll on me. The tension arises between wanting to bask in the Father's love as expressed in sacrificing His only Son for my benefit and to make all proper arrangements in our home for the celebration of that Son's natal arrival. 

I'm beginning to think the Karate Kid had the right idea. I've been noticing the effectiveness of spending some quality time on my knees and in the Word at the beginning of each day. When I make sure to stop and meditate on the Truths of Scripture I find myself feeling more peaceful and confident. It's as if my heart and mind are back in balance, more able to meet the demands of the day.

I still can't hold myself up on one foot with my arms in the air. I haven't been awarded a belt of any color for my self-defense prowess. I'm just trying to keep the image of the Karate Kid with me as I approach Kristmas.

I know it's a mixed metaphor, but Matthew 11:28-30 comes to mind.

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

No comments:

Post a Comment